My lovely friend Alex nominated me for a Liebster Award over at her awesome blog, Rockstar in Training (if you haven’t already – go check it out, it’s full of great posts on life, work and everything in between). While the award isn’t an “official” award – it’s a fun way to give a shout out to blogs you enjoy and give bloggers an opportunity to share more about themselves.
1. Share 11 things about yourself
2. Answer the 11 questions given to you
3. Nominate five bloggers and ask them 11 questions of your own. (Alex basically picked everyone I would have nominated… that’s what happens when you travel in the same circles!)
Since all five of my readers (not including my mom) are dying to know more about me, here are 11 fun tidbits to get to know me better:
1. I have a deathly fear of crabs and mayonnaise – not sure which one I am afraid of more.
2. One of my biggest pet peeves in the entire world is when people don’t use their turn signals. Oh, and slow walkers.
3. I have broken all of my toes. Twice. (Not to mention my nose and my leg, too.)
4. I am nearly blind in one eye and technically I’m not even supposed to be allowed to drive.
5. I am the pickiest eater you will ever meet. Until a few years ago, the most adventurous I would get was hotdogs and macaroni and cheese. Now I’m in love with trying new things — Chinese is my current obsession.
6. I watch Boy Meets World every single morning before work. Literally – every morning. I never miss it. I think I’ve seen the entire series at least four times now.
7. My first word as a baby was “ACDC” and my second word was “pancake.” Even before mama and dada. Clearly, I had my priorities straight.
8. I am a hardcore francophile. I love all things French and if I had it my way – I would move there for a year or two.
9. I used to play the cello. I was really, really bad at it.
10. I was once captain of my middle school tennis team – even if it was for a hot second. It’s the only sport I’ve ever played.
11. I love a strong martini, a good book and a freshly painted manicure.
Alex’s 11 questions:
1. If you had a superpower, what would it be and why?
As cliche as it is, I have always wanted the ability to fly. I think it would be amazing to be able to go anywhere I want in the world whenever I want to.
2. What’s the toughest decision you had to make?
Whether or not to move to the D.C. area – away from all of my family, friends and the city I had grown to call my home. I knew it wouldn’t be easy, but nothing worth it ever is. I think it’s helped me try to be better friend and recognize what great people I have in my life. It’s easy to forget that when you see them all the time.
3. Do you believe in God? Why or why not?
Oh boy. Long story short — no, not quite. Religion is something I’ve struggled with my entire life and its something that makes me incredibly uncomfortable. I’d like to believe that there is something more out there, but what exactly that is – I’m still not sure. I hope one day I will believe in something.
4. What’s the best way to spend a Saturday afternoon?
Sipping bottomless mimosas on a sun-bathed patio, enjoying a delicious brunch with great friends.
5. How old were you when you figured out what love was?
I thought I knew what love was in middle school – I dated the same guy on and off for three years and thought we were going to get married. Then I met Mike when I was only 16 and I have been head-over-heels in love with him ever since. Over the past seven years though I’ve learned a lot more about what goes into love and relationships and my perceptions of it have greatly matured.
6. Peanut butter or jelly?
Peanut butter. It makes everything taste better.
7. If you were forced to get a tattoo, what would you get?
I’ve always wanted a tattoo of part of an e.e. cummings poem — i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart). It’s an amazing poem that I think somehow manages to sum up my love for the most important people in my life.
8. Coke or Pepsi?
Neither — I hate dark colored sodas. I’m more of a gingerale and Fresca kind of gal.
9. Finish the sentence: My best friend is my best friend because…
they are there — for better and for worse.
10. What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned in the last year?
You are the creator of your own happiness.
11. Why did you start your blog?
Because I love writing and sharing my experiences with others. It’s therapeutic and allows me to get out my frustrations, my fears, my hopes and my dreams and lets me know I’m not alone.
Thanks again for the nomination, Alex!